- Category: Uncategorised
- Published on Sunday, 10 April 2011 04:10
- Written by Mike Rana
- Hits: 24503
An exceptional achievement
The 833TNT™ is the ultimate marriage of astounding audio transparency and stunning physical design. The product of over two years of work by a team of eight audio, electronics and design engineers, this is the only 833C push-pull amplifier being manufactured in the world today.
Old and new technologies
The 833TNT™ combines the best of old and new audio technologies to deliver amplified sound with breathtaking clarity, warmth and faithfulness. The large 833C tubes were developed in the 1940s specifically for audio amplification and for years were used extensively in AM radio transmitters.
The ability of tubes to amplify audio without the harshness associated with digital technology is well known. The drawback with most vacuum tubes, however, is their tendency to add distortion to the signal as volume is increased, as well as their need for large power supplies to provide the level of voltage needed for their operation.
With the 833TNT™, our audio and electronics engineers have overcome these challenges. Using the newest solid-state technology, they developed a power supply of manageable size that enables our unit to be self-contained and to sustain continuous low frequency tones without distorting the audio far longer than most other power amplifiers. At the same time, distortion is kept to less than 1% across the unit’s entire power range.
Another challenge that comes with the use of large tubes like the 833C is ensuring they are kept at a safe operating temperature. To do that, our engineers designed an innovative liquid cooling system based on a new technology using “heat pipes.” These devices cool by using the evaporation and condensation of fluid to quickly move heat from small concentrated areas to larger areas where it can dissipate. The fluid is circulated back to the hot areas via capillary action, eliminating the need for pumps.
The cooling system is microprocessor controlled and monitored. A color LCD interface conveniently located at the front of the unit between the tube towers provides important data in an instant.
Push-pull for better sound quality
The 833TNT™ is designed with a push-pull configuration to deliver the highest quality sound. Push-pull is considered superior to the alternative single-ended configuration, especially in terms of the ability to deliver high highs and low lows, while providing greater amplification with little or no increase in distortion.
Stunning in appearance
Our design engineers were as concerned with appearance as our audio engineers were with sound. So the 833TNT™ is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the ear. The hand-polished aluminum housing is a work of art and is a home worthy of the masterpiece of audio engineering that it houses.
The design is at once contemporary and classic. The art-deco style is bold, yet refined. The lines are clean and simple, almost austere. The two tube towers showcase the 833Cs, inviting the eye to study the intricate construction of their filaments, plates and electrodes, which bask in a warm orange glow when the unit is powered.
When we set out to create the world’s only 833C push-pull amplifier, a chief concern was ensuring the unit met very stringent standards for performance dependability. The 833TNT™ is engineered to the same level of dependability as products created for the telecom industry, upon which the world depends for instant and uninterrupted communication. Those who purchase the 833TNT™ can do so with total confidence in its reliability.
The 833TNT™ is not a production model. It does not come from an assembly line. Each unit is individually handcrafted in our own 15,000-square-foot facility in Columbus, Ohio, with great care, precision and commitment to perfection. Key components are custom manufactured to our specifications by world-class suppliers. Everything associated with the 833TNT™ is only of the highest quality.
A superb experience
The 833TNT™ monoblock amplifier is an elegantly designed and meticulously engineered achievement that delivers sound that is thoroughly captivating and enjoyable. It must be heard to be believed and appreciated. We are confident you will find listening to your favorite sounds and music—whatever the genre, whoever the artist—as amplified by the 833TNT™ to be an experience that surpasses all others.
• Tube complement: 2x 833C (graphite plate power triodes), 2x 6550 (power pentodes used in many audio amplifiers), 2x 12BH7 (small signal triodes)
• Completely Tube & Transformer coupled audio path
• Microprocessor controlled and monitored electronics system
• Unique Graphical User Interface Control / Ethernet controllable interface
• Main power: 95V to 260V, 50Hz-60Hz (13A nominal current @ 120V)
• Custom Switching Power supplies throughout yielding a much lighter and unwavering power system that can be packaged into a single chassis
• Liquid Cooled technology to aid in heat dissipation
• Custom designed Machine-Age, Art-Deco enclosure, carved from 6061-T6 machined-plate aluminum typically used in high precision aircraft fittings and camera lens assemblies
• Beautifully finished with polished, matte and gloss surfaces
• The tubes are encased in thermal resistant borosilicate glass tubing
• Total weight 160lbs / 72.6kg
• Dimensions [WxHxD]: 17 x 18.1 x 25 IN / 432 x 460 x 635 mm
• Designed and handcrafted by Audio Power Labs in Columbus, Ohio, USA
• 200 watts RMS
• Frequency Response: 15Hz – 25KHz
• SNR: >85dB / THD: < 1%
• Inputs: (1) 20k ohm Balanced XLR / (1) 20k ohm Single-ended RCA
• Output: 8 Ω and 4 Ω, Using high quality WBT™ binding posts
• Voltage Gain: 34.25 dB @ 8 ohms